Sunday, March 6, 2011

Hina Matsuri (= Hina dolls festival or girls day)


Yes it was the 3rd of March again. I had my Hina dolls out.

3rd of March is known as Hina Matsuri in Japan. It is a celebration for a little girl. We celebrate the day by displaying Hina dolls and eat special food and snack such as Chirashi-Sushi and Hina Arare( Sweet rice cracker)

When a baby girl is born, mother's parents or parents in laws buy a set of Hina dolls for the girl. Hina dolls are set decorations that shows a wedding of rich family in old times.  You can just get a bride and groom or  plus maids & the band or a with the full set with furniture. And I happened to have the full set!

It was taking so much space in the storage in my parents' house so I brought them over in Australian several years ago. I couldn't bring the display unit as it was very big so I used boxes to display them...yes it looks bit cheap but anyway.


The custom of displaying Hina dolls was originated in Heian period. (794~1185).  The dolls are taking troubles or bad spirits with them so that a girl remains safe and healthy. More information is available on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinamatsuri

When girls become adults, most of them get rid of the dolls by taking them to temple to burn. And if they give birth to a girl in a future, they will buy a new set of the dolls for the little girl.

I thought I would do the same but my mother insisted me to take them with me so I did! I do believe the dolls have spirits and somehow I feel at ease when I have the dolls out. I wonder if they are really  protecting me?


And this year, one of my father's cousin who is a famous Japanese style doll maker gave me Hina dolls she made for free!

So now I have 2 sets of Hina dolls....Hopefully I will have a baby girl soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment