Saturday, March 3, 2012



It's this time of the year again!

Happy Hina Matsuri!


When a baby girl is born, one of family members buy a set of Hina dolls as gift to a baby. The Hina doll set represents a wedding ceremony of loyal family in Heian period. (794~1192)

On this day, we eat Chirashi Zushi(=Sushi), fish and special sweets to celebrate the day, and wish for good health and happiness of the girls in a family.

I have 2 sets which is bit unusual. I have a full set from my father's side grandmother and only the bride and groom from my father's aunt. (the in the picture above)

My grandmother is deceased so Hina dolls became my very valuable asset. It's getting bit old and some of them needs to be repaired. I probably should take them back to Japan with me next time for repair!

No comments:

Post a Comment